Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Tipsy Stacked Flower Pots

Welcome to "The Creative Dabbler."  I have many creative interests including crafts, cooking, and photography.  This blog will be a mix of all my interests.  My first post is about what I made for my mother this year for Mother's Day.  This project took approximately 3 hours and is very straightforward.  My finished product is just an example, and you can customize it as much as you want.  You can change the color and design of the pots, the size of the pots, the flowers, number of stacked pots, etc.

Materials:
  • 1 8" TerraCotta Pot
  • 5 6" TerraCotta Pots
  • Plants
  • 6' Rebar
  • Spray Paint Primer
  • Spray Paint
  • Potting Soil
  • Sledgehammer


Once I got all of the materials, I primed all of my pots.  I needed a can and a half of primer total.  I used the brand Rust-Oleum, so the amount of paint needed to fully cover might differ for other brands.  The Rust-Oleum spray paint did a good job, but not much better than any other brand I have used.  After the primer, I used the color Wildflower Blue by the same brand.  I ran out of the blue after just 4 pots, and decided to try something different for the last two.  I had some leftover gray spray paint from a previous project and sprayed a coating of that on the remaining pots.  I then took a sponge and the dipped it into the pool of blue paint under each of the blue pots and sponged it on to the gray pots.  I let the pots dry for a half an hour until they did not feel tacky.


I choose a spot for the pots and pounded my rebar into the soil with a sledgehammer.  If you decide to use different heights of pots, you will need to adjust the size of the rebar.  Make sure you have at least 2 feet of the rebar in the ground.  I got my rebar from Ace hardware.  They had a wide variety of heights, but if you cannot find the right size, you can buy a larger one and cut it down.


Once the base, the largest pot, is dry, slide it through the rebar through the pot's drainage hole.  Fill the pot with potting soil and water the soil down.  Add the next pot on and tilt it against the rebar.  Fill this pot with potting soil and water it down.  Continue adding pots, tilting them the opposite direction, supported by the edge of the previous pot and the rebar.  If there is extra rebar left at the top, pound it down with the sledge hammer until it is not visible anymore.


Once the pots are stacked, plant all of your flowers.  Finally, stand back and admire what you have created.






No comments:

Post a Comment