Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Colorful Dry Erase Calendar

Here is another craft I did for my freshman dorm room!  In order to keep track of what was going on in the month, I made this very colorful calendar.  This is  very simple project and you can use left over items you have around the house.  It is made out of a picture frame and can be used with any dry-erase markers.


Materials:

  • Scrapbook Paper
  • Picture Frame
    • I bought a 8.5 by 11 inch frame, but any size will work.  Choose a good size to fit the space you want to put it.
  • Sharpie/Pen
  • Scissors
  • Glue Stick
  • Ruler



Since my frame was the size of a piece of paper, I used white cardstock paper for the base.  I gave myself a little over an inch for the month section and another 3/4 inch for the days of the weeks.  Since my length was 11 inches, I simply divided 11 by 7 to get the length of each of the boxes.  I cut out seven .75 inch by 1.57 inch boxes and wrote the first letter of the day of the week on them.  I also wrote "Month:" on scrapbook paper and cut around that and glued it onto the base.

I then measured the remaining space for the day boxes and calculated the size of each of the boxes.  After cutting one of the boxes in the desired scrapbook paper to the right size, I used that box as a template for the rest of the boxes, to save time of measuring.  I cut 35 different boxes for the days out of my random scrapbook paper.  Once all of the boxes were cut, I arranged them on the base.  I changed them around several times so I can get similar patterns and colors more spread out.  After they were arranged the way I liked, I glued them down, starting with the bottom row and going up.

As you can see from the pictures, the rectangles are not perfect.  There is some white space between the rectangles and not all are perfectly aligned.  This is not at all noticeable when looking at it far away, I have found.


After it was done, I hung it on my wall in my dorm.  Here is a picture of it, fully written on in December next to my white board, reminding me to keep calm right around finals since it is almost Christmas break.  I absolutely love how the calendar turned out, and I got several compliments on it throughout the year.  You can write on it with the same dry erase markers and it comes off just as easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment